Sunday, September 1, 2013

Airlie Beach to Double Bay East

The weather wasn’t the greatest to be taking off but we’d used up our week (and all our money) and had to make our way out of the marina.  We checked the maps and decided the short trip to Double Bay East would keep us out of the strong winds predicted to hit.  So 12nm north in just 2.5 hours and we were throwing our anchor down in a fairly sheltered area. 

I also managed to forget to return the marina key upon our departure.  Now I own a key that cost me $50 and opens nothing I own.

We’d only been anchored for about 10 minutes when a neighbouring yachty, Bruce, came up in his dinghy with a huuuuuge golden trevally and asked “Do you want this?  I just caught it and I don’t have enough room in my fridge for it.”  Needless to say, we wanted it.  That night we had a big feast of trevally.  For people who live on the water, we don’t eat a lot of seafood and it was lovely to have a big feed of fresh fish.




With limited internet, we were discussing our options with Bruce and he suggested Gloucester Island.  He would be heading up there the following morning and as it has a line of sight to Bowen, the internet connectivity should be good.  So the decision was made to follow Bruce the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment